top of page




<a href="" rel="publisher">Google+</a>

Anchor 1

Law Offices of RL Johnson PLLC

Michigan's Premier Civil Litigation Firm          

to win

in the courtroom

of the law

What We Do

With over 25 years of experience providing service to businesses, courts, government agencies, and individuals, we have the knowledge, skill, and expertise to win. 


We are Michigan civil trial attorneys protecting the rights of individuals and businesses.  We win civil lawsuits.  We collect debts, resolve business disputes, and achieve success in immigration, probate, and commercial and domestic litigation. 


We specialize in:  

What Our Clients Say

"I highly recommend Rod! He is thorough and looks out for his client's best interests! I trust him and his ability to do his best work best on my behalf!"

Posted by Jill, a Divorce client

"Mr. Rod Johnson is a remarkable attorney with outstanding commercial law and business knowledge. Rod, did not only expeditiously arrange the registration of my business entity, but spent time to brief me on the pros and cons of each type of entity as well as offering detailed business start-up advice, covering Accounting, Website vendors, Social Media (all the tricks of the trade) etc. Thank you, Mr. Johnson."

Posted by Godfrey, a satsfied Business client

How We Win Cases

Beating the Odds on Appeal

While the odds of success on appeal are statistically low, we win cases on appeal.   Our recent victories included:


Successful Juvenile Defense

Following a two-day jury trial, we successfully defended a Taylor youth charged with two counts of aggravated assault whom police said used a pencil to stab his opponent during a youth football game.

Read the article that sensationalized this case.

Winning Fraud Cases

In a fraud case that we tried on behalf of pastors of 21 African-American churches from across southern Michigan, our clients were awarded over $400,000 on their claims for refunds and damages after they got involved in what former Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox called a

nationwide scam aimed at black churches.  

Read the Detroit FreePress Article.

<a href="" rel="publisher">Google+</a>

Frequently Asked Questions

Following are questions that frequently arise in our areas of practice.  The questions and answers are--for the most part--particular to Michigan law.  The topics include Family Law (including Divorce, Custody, Child Support, and Parenting Time); Probate; Bankruptcy; and, Immigration.  Click the botton below to read the answers to these questions.





FAMILY LAW FAQs                                                                                                                  

  • I just got served with divorce papers, what do I do?                                                                                                                     

  • I would like to get a divorce:  Can you help?                                                                                                                                     

  • My wife left me and is in a new relationship and I need to file bankruptcy: Can you help?                                             

  • How do I terminate my child’s father’s parental rights?                                                                                                                 

  • Is it still be possible to get the default set aside?                                                                                                                         

  • We never consummated the marriage.  How do get an annulment, not divorce?                                                                 

  • My child’s father wants to sign off on her.  Can he do this?                                                                                                         

  • My wife left me for another guy years ago so now and her whereabouts are unknown.  How do I divorce her?                                       

  • I need a divorce, all the bills are in my name, and my husband won’t help.  Can I get relief?                                                          

  • How do I adopt my niece and nephew?                                                                                                                                                  

  • We need a divorce after 10 years.  I’m the only father her 9-year-old son’s ever known.  How do I go about adopting him?        


CHILD CUSTODY & PARENTING TIME FAQs                                                                 

  • How is child custody determined?                                                                                                                                                          

  • We’re already divorce, the court awarded him joint custody, and he’s not taking good care of the kids when they’re with him:  Can I just stop sending them to their dad?      

  • The mother has full custody, but she’s destroying their religious beliefs and interfering with my parenting time:  Can I get custody?                

  • The mother left household and our four-month-old baby.  We’re not married and we’ve never been to court.  I’m unemployed.  What’s my first step?             

  • We’re divorced.  I live in Michigan. I just accepted a job in Kentucky.  It starts immediately.  The order says he gets parenting time every other week.  Can I leave with my son?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                

  • I want to know how I can get primary residence.                                                                                                                            

  • How do I protect my child from his father who uses and sells drugs and keeps guns in the house?                  


PROPERTY DIVISION FAQs                                                                                                 

  • What will happen to my retirement plan in our divorce?                                                                                                          


CHILD SUPPORT FAQs                                                                                                           

  • I have full custody.  She has parenting time, but she’s never around. What can I do where my child support is so high that I can't keep my head above water?

  • I’m out of work.  How do I lower or eliminate my arrearage payments?                                                                              

  • The state waited years to try to collect back support. Can I invoke latches to erase my back support?                   

  • I’m in arrears. I received a notice to appear for a “Show Cause” motion.  What’s that?                                            

  • Today, the court denied my request for a refund.  I just paid off my arrears when the friend of the court garnished my tax refund.  How do I get my overpayment back?   

  • I just want to pay a fair amount of child support.                                                                                                                        

  • Can’t I just ignore this child support warrant?                                                                                                                           


SMALL BUSINESS FAQs                                                                                                        

  • What are the key considerations for starting a business?                                                                                                           


PROBATE FAQs                                                                                                                     

  • My uncle’s showing the early signs of dementia.  When can a guardian be appointed?                                                


BANKRUPTCY – DEBT COLLECTION FAQs                                                                     

  • I’m missing a lot of work due to family illness and my bills are piling up.  Do I need to file bankruptcy?          

  • After six years my wife left me and is in a new relationship.  Also I need to file bankruptcy.                                      

  • I’m a single mom.  I can't afford to get my wages garnished.  Will bankruptcy prevent wage garnishment?        

  • I have difficulty paying bills due to a work slow down.  Is bankruptcy my only option?                                            

  • Do I need to file bankruptcy before my wages are garnished?                                                                                                     

  • My husband’s been unfaithful and all the bills are in my name.  He sponged off me during the marriage. Will he get off scot-free in a divorce?             


IMMIGRATION FAQs                                                                                                              

  • How do I get a fiancée visa for my girlfriend?                                                                                                                                 

  • How do I bringing a student from Japan to study English?                                                                                                        

  • I’m from England. My visa expired before I married my husband who is a U.S. citizen.  How can I get a green card?           

  • I have a communicable disease.  What bearing will this have on my up coming visa interview?                              

Contact Us

We are available for telephone consultations most days after 3:00 p.m. (including Saturdays, 10:00 - 2:00 p.m.).   There is no charge for the first 30 minutes.

Additionally, we are available for in-office consultations most weekdays after 4:00 p.m. and Saturdays, 10:00 - 2:00 p.m.  Otherwise, please call to set up an appointment that coincides with your schedule.  Note:  There is a $100 fee for in-office consultations, which is waived if you retain us.

Anchor 3

Free Phone Strategy Session 

Serving Wayne, Oakland, 

Washtenaw, Macomb Counties


(800) 597-0284


Livonia, Michigan
39111 Six Mile Road
Livonia, Michigan 48152
Tel.:  (734) 521.2501
Fax:  (800) 597.0284




Southfield, Michigan
Call for an appointment
Tel.:  (800) 597.0284
(800) 597.0284


Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
Call for an appointment
Tel.:  (888) 443.4146
(888) 443.4146


Novi, Michigan
Call for an appointment 
Tel.: (800) 545-8930
Fax:  (800) 545-8930


39111 Six Mile Road

Livonia, MI 4815

Your details were sent successfully!

We are Christian lawyers with offices in Livonia, Southfield, Novi, and Bloomfield Hills Michigan serving Wayne, Oakland, Washtenaw, and Macomb counties and providing the best legal services in the areas of Business Litigation, Corporate Law, Family Services, Immigration and Naturalization Services, and Consumer Protection Law.

DISCLAIMER: All information contained in this website is for education purpose only and is not intended to be legal advice.  Moreover, communication with this firm does not form an attorney-client relationship. That relationship only occurs upon the execution of a retainer agreement.  Moreover, while the information contained in this communication may be based on laws and court rulings, it must not be relied upon as legal advice on specific facts. Law Offices of RL Johnson PLLC, its agents and affiliates cannot and will not render any legal or tax advice of any kind, unless said agent is duly licensed by the applicable state and/or federal authority to give said advice.

© 2012 by Law Offices RL Johnson PLLC

bottom of page