top of page

39111 Six Mile Road

Livonia, MI 48152

(800) 597-0284

  • Wix Facebook page
  • YouTube
  • LinkedIn Social Icon
  • Wix Twitter page
  • Wix Google+ page
  • Instagram
  • Pinterest

Can I appeal if I pleaded guilty or nolo contendere?

     Generally, no.  If your conviction was based on your plea of guilty or nolo contendere and your offense was committed after December 27, 1994, you should not file a claim of appeal. By court rule, the Court of Appeals does not have jurisdiction when a claim of appeal is filed in a criminal case where the conviction was based on a plea. MCR 7.203(A)(1)(b). The Court of Appeals will dismiss a claim filed in those circumstances. An appeal must be filed as an application. 

 Related Links:

How much does an appeal cost?

Why Are Appeals So Expensive?

We are Experienced Appellate Lawyers

      We handle challenging, high-stakes problems that can only be resolved in our highest courts. 


     Our appellate courts exist because judges and juries are not infallible. If you believe that a judge or a jury made a mistake in your case, we may be able to help you.  That is, upon review of your case, we may be able to help secure a reduced sentence; a new trial; a remand; a record expungement; or, improve the outcome of your case in some other way.


    Please note well that, as Christian attorneys, you can rest assured that if we think that you do not have grounds for an appeal, we will tell you.

DISCLAIMER: All information contained in this website is for education purpose only. Law Offices of RL Johnson PLLC, its agents and affiliates cannot and will not render any legal or tax advice of any kind, unless said agent is duly licensed by the applicable state and/or federal authority to give said advice.


© 2012 by Law Offices RL Johnson PLLC

bottom of page